Monday, May 16, 2011

Italian Renaissance Costuming Challenge update

I finally decided on the blackwork pattern for my new square necked chemise. Luckily the individual embroideries dont take that long to do as they are done on my machine. The design is purchased.

The pattern will run down the centre of the sleeve and around the neckline (straight edge along the opening). I have a similar another pattern similar to the straight section that i will use on the cuff frill.

Sunday, May 8, 2011

Medici Archives

Really cool site - digital achieve and photographic documentation of the Medici burial clothes.... lots of pictures. Thanks to 'the Shambles' - the Kingdom of Lochac mailing list for sharing the link.

Eleanora dress - skirt

At last, a picture of the nearly complete skirt. I am going to finish the hem edge with a black velvet guard to protect the satin from dirt and feet. You can see where one of the gold motifs is missing - it hadn't been sewn down yet and came off. Trying to get velvet to stick to delustered satin is nearly impossible when you have to keep moving the fabric. If you look closely at the picture you can see the seam. I closed the side seam and then did the applique over the top so I didnt have to try and match the pattern later.

So far the skirt weighs 1.7kg.

Sunday, May 1, 2011

More random costuming

Finished the costumes for a friends book launch - - Will wanted a couple of Monks costumes suitable for 8th century monk. I'll add pictures from the book launch at the end of the month.

I need something suitable for wearing in the kitchen and my usual Elizabethan garb is a little ott. Today I bit the bullet and started my cotehardie/gothic fitted dress.  Using a Burda pattern, I pinned and adjusted my way to a suitably fitted gown that seems to be working. I have used white linen and double lined the bodice to give it some strength, not sure if its going to be supportive enough though. Tomorrow I have to finish off the seams and then do the eyelets, sleeves and hems. Then after wearing it for a couple of hours I should be able to see where the adjustments are needed for the over dress.

Pencampwr (weekend SCA camping event in Western Australia) is just over a month away and I have a mountain of sewing to do, so its time to just get it done :).